Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 24...and counting

And the snow just keeps coming. Who would believe this kind of Winter in Edinburgh? 

Alan (unfortunately) is like the Voice of the BBC with his hourly reports. Annoying to say the least. All through this week I've had to hear that this is the worst cold/snow spell since 1981. Now, because the frigging temperatures have been in the low teens with snow every day for what seems most of my life, this morning the update is:  Worst Snow Since 1963

Sadly (for me), if the snowstorm we are having right this minute is any indication, tomorrow I will have to listen to: Worst Winter Weather in 50 Years..!! I swear--and I do every time I have to listen to the next Alan Weather Report--if I wanted to return to the Mother Ship (Alaska) of Arctic weather, I would be living there, not here..!!

The snow is falling thick and fast, though doesn't look like it in the photo.  You'll have to trust me on this one.



The hazy look in this picture out the kitchen door is really falling snow.



Okay, this is more like it.  Though the photo looks over-exposed, it's not, it's the sheer volume of snow.


Oddly, it doesn't look like a lot of snow on the ground.  We've had several days of such bitter low temps that the snow is actually evaporating, rather than melting.  Only in Scotland, where weird weather takes on a whole new meaning.

Remember that old chesnut: "Don't say anything if you can't say something nice"..??  I think I'll finish this with the "something nice".

The book is now at 493 pages, 101,211 words.  Seriously.  

I lost the plot, big time, over the holidays, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get it back.  I had dropped the threads and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to weave the story back together.  I almost gave up.  Is there anything worse than trying to unravel a ball of yarn that is hopelessly tangled?  But, yet again, my main man and cheerleader, Mr Hourly Weather Reports, spurred me on.  Still, I struggled, and last week only wrote one day out of seven.  While I wasn't writing, I pondered, made notes, read a couple books, then yesterday I sat down and cranked out nearly 4,000 words and typed my way over the hurdle and into the impossible 100K range.

That's something really nice, isn't it?

No comments: