Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Doom and Gloom

Remember that astoundingly stupid New Year's thing I posted..?? Be positive, look for the happy, blah, blah, effing blah..?? All I can say is: good thing I'm not writing self-help books. I think one of my phrases was "avoid the joy-sucking moments" though how you're supposed to do that isn't clear to me today. 

For a year we've been planning a garage sale. It was supposed to be last June, but Alan had to go to the States for his visa thing, so we postponed it. Now that the house has sold, and we have 6 weeks to get out of Dodge, it's time for the sale. We tried to put an ad in the newspaper, but when the ad person thought we were trying to sell our garage--they aren't familiar with the garage sale concept in Scotland, though I hear that closer to London it's not uncommon--we changed our minds and made flyers that we distributed all over the neighborhood instead. 

And another thing...it has barely rained this Winter/Spring. It's been unbearably cold and windy, but not much rain. Are you sensing the scenario that is coming..?? 

Yesterday we get the whole frigging driveway filled up--and thank goodness the Cramond Kirk let us borrow some long tables because Alan has more crap stuff than sense--and we opened the gate at Noon. The weather was pretty good, with some warm sunshine for most of the afternoon.  Too bad we didn't get more than 10 people. Seems that down the street at another Kirk, they were having their annual car boot sale--the Scottish version of a garage sale--but we would have needed a truck to take all the crap stuff down there. We sold some things, but the big day was going to be Sunday as we would not be competing with anyone else.  At 4:00pm we covered all the tables with tarps to protect things overnight. 

I get up this morning to this loud drumming noise. WTF..?? I look outside...into a torrential downpour; the sound is the deluge of water striking the tarps. It's raining so hard Ozzy refuses to go on his walk. Some of the tarps are waterproof, others aren't. I see on my Yahoo weather that today is to be dreadful, but hey, tomorrow (Monday) is to be 60* and sunny. It doesn't get to 60* in Edinburgh in bloody August.   What are the odds..??  Besides not writing self-help books, it's a good thing I don't gamble.  I also don't drink much (well...except Prosecco.  And Corona with lime when we have pizza), though I might be increasing my intake on both soon.

So. How do you counter the joy-sucking moments? Buggers if I know.  Philosophically, I'm going with Lil Jon right now...

No comments: