Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

First Day...

This is vaguely intimidating, for no reason I can explain..!! Still, the first day of anything is always the worst. I'm not too clear yet on all the blogging ins and outs, though will no doubt get things sorted eventually.

I spent 3 hours today talking to Jan, my BFF. I don't know what I would do if we didn't have our Wednesday phone chats..!! It not only keeps me connected to America, but there's always something that gives us a real laugh. I wish Priest River, Idaho was closer to Edinburgh (though not when she gets her 6 months of snow..!!)

Today we were talking about living under the radar, and if that's really possible. I was telling her about this experience my husband and I had at this coffee place in Edinburgh on Monday. We hadn't ordered coffee from this particular barista in ages, and yet she knew immediately how we wanted our coffee..!! I don't consider myself "rememberable" and yet here was someone who no doubt makes hundreds of coffees for a multitude of people on a daily basis, so either she had a most amazing memory, or somehow, for whatever reason, we registered on her radar. Jan had a similar experience not too long ago, though we figured she was memorable due to her very blonde and spikey hair which is truly unforgettable..!! . (And, cripes, how many "ables" can one person use in a paragraph...??) Still. You go along thinking no one really notices you, and yet they do. We decided it was sort of creepy, in an undefined way, that you can just go about your life, and yet be seen. Or, was the creepy part being remembered by strangers..?? Or, did we have self-esteem issues thinking we were not worthy of being noticed..?? That's when the laughing started and we spent the next 10 minutes coming up with more and more farfetched ways to NOT be noticed or remembered. Ah, there's nothing like talking to someone you've known for 25 years, through thick and thin, is there..??

So, while I was talking away with Jan, poor husband Alan was outside starting the garden clean-up. He managed to get all the nasturtiums out (hundreds of them all over the garden area), and filled several huge bags to take to the dump. Tomorrow it's my turn, unfortunately. I have to prune about 50 rose bushes, trim down the dahlias, and mulch everything...ugh. ugh, ugh. I love Spring, hate Fall. Everything looks so bare and dreary when all is said and done. To say nothing of all the scratches and blood loss I have to look forward to with the rose pruning. Once it's all done, it will be hunker down time. Reading, knitting, baking things I shouldn't be eating, and being cosy in the house until sometime in the Spring, when it all begins again---and so will the diet....

So there. That wasn't so hard to do. It's much easier than trying to write in my journals since I can type WAY better than I can write. Cool.

No comments: