Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, November 14, 2008

Life in Scotland

I have some moments where I miss my old life in America. I miss graham crackers, Saltines, a really juicy hamburger and milkshake, good Mexican food, my mother's home cooking, and myriad other things too numerous to mention.

Then there are the other times when I realize what a wild, wonderful, ancient land Scotland is, and how much I love it here. But, with Thanksgiving approaching, I always get nostalgic for my first homeland, so I thought I would change my perspective today, and look at all the beauty around me here.

I live in a little area of Edinburgh called Cramond. The village of Cramond is about 4 blocks from the house. This is a picture of the local pub in the village. Honestly, could it be more picturesque..??










This is the actual village of Cramond, and dates back for centuries. The pub (in the previous photo) is behind this block of dwellings. The cafe in the foreground serves wonderful food, and delicious coffee. The view from the cafe is outstanding, with river and mountain views, though I don't seem to have a photo at the moment to show the view. Course, any view in Scotland also depends on good weather, which is in short supply most days.



One of our "walking Ozzy" paths, which leads eventually to the village, and to the waterfront. Cramond has the River Almond, which moseys into the Forth, which leads to the North Sea, so lots of water abounds. And that's not counting the rain, smirr, haar, rainy fog, lashings, torrentials, etc. Like the Inuits have 28 words for snow, I'm sure Scotland has the same for rain...





The bottom of the path (above) leads through the grounds of the Cramond Kirk. The church sits on Roman ruins from the 1st century. This was the farthest outpost for the Romans, and it must have seemed like the end of the world for them; they never went north of this point. The kirk has been on this spot since the 15th century. It has a Norman tower on the other side (not visible in this photo).





Edinburgh Castle, my most favorite castle in the world, and that's saying loads in a country filled with stunning castles of all kinds. I definitely have a Top 5 list (Edinburgh, Tantallon, Dunnotter, Urquhart, Drummond), but Edinburgh is somehow, I don't know, so mythical, I always have it at the head of the list. Nearly anywhere you go in the city, you can see it, rising above everything. It's beautiful.





Another view of the city, with the castle in the background. Photo taken from Calton Hill, looking across the city.









You can't come to Edinburgh and not see Greyfriar's Bobby. To the left of his statue is the church where he's buried. His little grave is always covered in flowers.









Well, I think that gave me a good shot in the arm...and the attitude. I have barely scratched the surface of Edinburgh, of course, but each of these photos remind me of other things around my house, the village, and the city. I will next have to refresh my mind by exploring the Scottish countryside, the abbeys, and other castles I've seen. Soon the Christmas Fair starts in Princes Street Gardens, with all kinds of events, crafts, gifts, food and music, so I will definitely get some new photos, and memories of my second home.

No comments: