Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, September 18, 2009

Cleaning Out Drawers

While in the process of painting 4 rooms this month, moving furniture all over the house in order to paint in the first place, and doing cleaning and sorting while the paint dries, I came across a notebook I keep in my nightstand drawer. It is filled with quotes, and snatches of thought, that I have written down over the years, either from something read or heard. Since I am sitting here, still waiting for paint to dry, I thought I would share some of my favorites. OK...actually, I'll do anything to avoid the cleaning and sorting chores...!!!


"When two loaves alone to thee are left
Sell one, and with the dole,
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul"
---Persian saying**


**I memorized this quote years ago because I loved it. Since then I have seen it written a bit differently and often attributed to someone else (other than the Persians). All I know is, when I read it originally, it was a Persian quote.

"Democracy must be something more than two wolves
and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner"
---James Bovard

"Don't talk unless you can improve on silence"
---Proverb

"If one no longer has land but has the memory of land,
then one can make a map"

---Anne Michaels

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
---Unknown


"We need to take responsibility for the religions we make"
---Unknown

"Be kind instead of right"
---Unknown

"Never criticize unless you can do a better job"
---Unknown

"You're only as old as the girl you're with"
---Groucho Marx

"An eye for an eye makes us all blind"
---Gandhi

"A poor workman blames his tools"
---Unknown

"May you sit with your face to the wind,
Your eyes beholding happiness"
---Paraphrased inscription found with King Tut

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"
---Unknown

"There are only three sins:
Causing pain,
Causing fear,
Causing anguish.
The rest in window dressing"
---Roger Caras

"Love makes time pass,
Time makes love pass"
---Errol Flynn

"It's not our abilities that show who we are,
It's our choices"
---Albus Dumbledore

And, my most favorite of all:

"Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it buys
you a big enough yacht to sail right up to it"
---Johnny Depp

An interesting assortment, true..?? At least this exercise has been better than watching paint dry...and let's not even mention the cleaning, etc.

No comments: