Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday, Bloody Sunday...

On a rainy, miserable day in Edinburgh, I have just finished the second rewrite on the book. Yep, the second. I thought I would be done by now--with the whole process--but it seems every time I go over it, there's either some little thing I need to address, or the writing is such crap I have to rip out my hair, then sharpen the axe (to lop words, not my head).  It's been grueling.

Some stuff I chopped was so awful it was just downright embarrassing, other stuff was good (IMO) but needed to go. The not so good part? After two rewrites, I've only cut the sheer size of this opus by 8,000 words...!!! Good god. I should be hacking it by at least 50K.  I have really tried, honestly, but the story is complicated and I can't seem to skin it to the desired 100K length.  I'm doomed.

Today Alan printed out all 434 pages for me (sacrificing two black print cartridges in the process).  So, now I can sit down and actually read it instead of editing, criticizing or groaning pitifully at the computer screen.  I tried to tell him I could change the font size to save paper and ink, but he forged ahead anyway.  See the photo below.  I could kill someone if I dropped it on their head; at the very least break a toe if I aim for their foot.


If I put the book in a format like a regular paperback, it's only about 375 pages long, which is good, normal, acceptable.  The giant stack in the photo was printed with a larger font to make it easier to edit.  In other words (and I've got plenty of those!), I'll have more room on every page to scribble notes, add highlighter marks and drip blood by the time I'm done reading.  After I change what errors I find, I'm done.  Truly.  I can't take it anymore.  Besides, I need to finish so I can get my free printed copy, my prize for winning the NaNo competition.  Assuming they'll actually let me have a free copy once they find out how long it is.  

Did I already mention that I'm doomed???

No comments: