Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Monday, November 30, 2009

NaNo, Genre and Writing

NaNo:

Even though I reached the 50K goal on November 21st, today was the last day to get my final certified word count in on NaNo. I finished 64,868 words in a month of glorious, terrifying and angst-filled moments. I am nearly two-thirds of the way to finishing my novel, and hope to get it done in December, take a break, then do revision and rewrite in the new year. I am really pleased, not only with the way my story is unfolding, but because I've completed a daunting task that I didn't think for a minute I could finish. Just goes to show, doesn't it?


Genre and Writing:

So, what kind of book am I writing? I would have to classify it in the Paranormal Romance genre, though it's also an action/suspense/mystery. Leave it to me to write a book that doesn't easily fit into any specific cubicle. I would prefer a different designation for this genre (leaving out that pesky romance word), though for now there isn't one.  I don't read romance novels, and yet here I am, supposedly writing one..!!

Paranormal is a type of speculative fiction involving humans interacting with the supernatural: vampires, ghosts, shapeshifters, mythological beings, and creatures like fairies, dwarves, etc. It's roots are in Gothic fiction, though I think those roots have grown into a very large tree that encompasses a much broader scope nowadays.

Living in Scotland, I am surrounded by myth and legend, so I brought one of my favorite legends to life.  And, no, I'm not going to tell you which one.  You'll just have to read the book.  Though, if you're really clever and know your mythology, you might figure it out from the brief synopsis below.

My main man, Alex, meets a human woman, Rowan, under dire circumstances. The story takes place in Scotland, in the Highlands. There's a mysterious book, a really nasty bad guy, fist fights, murder and mayhem. Oh, and the thirteen Sacred Trees who are characters in their own right. I've done loads of research on these factual and historic trees; ancient ones with their own mythology, their own personalities and attitudes.

As far as the romance bit goes, yes, there's sex. I mean, come on. Two people meet, whether over coffee at Starbucks, or in the forest running from killers, make a connection, and eventually fall for each other. What usually happens next, in real life or not? Yep, sex. I managed to hold them off until Chapter 14, but wow, did they make up for lost time.  Seriously, I had no control over these two, so don't blame me if the pages are scorched.

My book is not a bodice-ripper romance. It's a mystery based on ancient legends, the coming together of different worlds, and two people trying to solve the mystery while they struggle to overcome the odds against them. Maybe I should call it a Paranormal Mystery...with sex.

No comments: