Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Monday, October 5, 2009

Super Macro

For my birthday last Summer, Alan bought me a new digital camera, a Canon PowerShot S5IS. We went to Italy shortly after, so I learned about the camera "on-the-job" as it were. It takes beautiful photos, (nearly all the ones on this blog), though has some bells and whistles I have yet to figure out. One thing I've been struggling with is the Macro. No matter how hard I try to decipher the camera-speak in the manual, this feature has eluded me.

This afternoon we were sitting out on the garden bench, reveling in the sunshine, when I noticed this lovely Nasturtium. I grabbed my camera and for the next half hour tried to get the blasted Macro to work.

This is as good as I could manage. Now, this isn't a bad close-up, but with my old Nikon SLR I could have done better.


So, moving on to a different Nasturtium, I tried again. Same result. An OK close-up. but buggers, where is the shot I'm looking for..??



While I was virtually laying on my stomach on the garden path, fiddling, fiddling, fiddling, I changed my options from Auto to Manual. This time when I hit the Macro button, I suddenly found SUPER Macro.

Wow.

I know we should all stop and smell the flowers, but maybe we should also stop and look at the flowers. Is this amazing, or what..?? What beauty inside a flower. Click on the photo to see it larger...it's incredible.

2 comments:

Pixie said...

I love playing with the functions on my camera, i'm still learning things about it...2 years later!

terlee said...

It's amazing how this macro stuff works. Honestly, today I just had to shut the camera away in a drawer or I wouldn't have gotten anything done...!!