Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, June 18, 2010

3,201 Miles Later...

Yes, that's the total number of miles we've traveled since leaving New York. Astounding, isn't it..?? We arrived at my sister's house today at 3:00pm after a leisurely drive of only 215 miles. Alan and I are feeling somewhat anti-climatic about the whole deal, but also have a great sense of accomplishment that we have survived phase one of The Plan.

Our first glimpse of the great Columbia River. I think this river far exceeds the Mississippi and Missouri for beauty, and excellence of scenery.
More river views. I was so happy to see my favorite river, I couldn't stop taking photos.


After about 50 miles or so, the land changes and you enter the Columbia Gorge, again one of the great wonders of the Northwest.

Halfway along the drive we took a little side road that climbed to a viewpoint and gave a most spectacular view of the Gorge.  Along the crest were great masses of native wildflowers.  Though the road was very narrow and winding, it was worth the drive.

Blue Mountain Buckwheat.  They were so blue and dainty.

These were called Oregon Sunshine.  I love the name.

3:00 in the afternoon and we finally reached our destination.  I jumped out of the car to snap this photo of my sister's house, then realized she was standing on the porch.  Hugs ensued.
And so the first phase of our journey ends.  I am so relieved to be across America, though now another journey begins.  We need to find our place in the scheme of things, and see where the next bend in the road takes us.  I'm going to take a day off from blogging and just relax with my family, take some long breaths, and enjoy the satisfaction of being exactly where I am.

No comments: