Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

On the Road Again...

We left my sister's around 11:00 this morning and headed for the Oregon Coast. I did the driving since we're in my neck of the woods, and I only had a slight meltdown driving through the congestion and chaos of Portland. We managed to survive that experience though Alan had to pry my hands from the steering wheel later on. Then we had a most pleasant drive through the Coast Range Mountains to the Pacific Ocean. Since I was the driver, there aren't as many photos as normal, but we stopped at a few viewpoints along Highway 101. Our hotel is right on the beach, with crashing waves and big rollers. Ozzy, so far, isn't too impressed with the sea spray or the noise. Here are some pictures:

Our first real sighting of the sea was Boiler Bay.  I tried to photograph the waves crashing against the rocks, but wasn't too successful.  Still, the ocean smell, the sound of the sea, the mist in the air, was great.
Next we stopped at a viewpoint called Seal Rocks, though we didn't see any seals today.  This is a shot from the right side.
Here's one from straight ahead.  Can you see the man walking by the tide pool?  It gives you some perspective how big these rocks are.  (Click on the photo to enlarge it if you can't spot the guy).
And this shot is from the left side.  It was a beautiful spot to stop for a panoramic picture.
Now we've arrived at our motel, around 4:00 in the afternoon.  We are right on the beach.  Well, not actually on the beach.  We're separated from it by a grassy area, then some boulders, but as I sit here typing, I can look right out the front window and watch the waves crashing into the rocks as the tide rolls in.  I love the Oregon Coast...sigh.
These next three photos are the view from the edge of the grass (above).
This is a lovely piece of driftwood that is perched on some rocks off to the left of the above shots.  It looks like a sculpture, and I guess it is, in a Mother Nature sort of way.
And, last but not least, this blog has been brought to you by Chevrolet.  Too bad they aren't paying me to advertise..!!  (I told Alan this was the last bloody time I was taking a picture of the car.  I think he's obsessed.)
Tomorrow we head off down the coast to Bandon, Oregon, then take a left, and wind for 70 miles through the mountains to Roseburg.  I'm looking forward to seeing the place that might become our new home.  Possibly.  Maybe.  Good grief.

No comments: