Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Quiet relaxing Sunday

This will be a short post as we haven't done a darn thing all day except take a little drive and go to Barnes and Noble so I could get my American bookstore fix.

It was a very rainy, stormy day in Sioux City. Earlier this morning we drove downtown into the "historic" section, which on a sunny day would have been very cool. The main street is only about four blocks long, but has wonderful old buildings and these interesting and intriguing artworks and statues on every street corner. Unfortunately, it was raining too hard to even get out of the car, let alone take photos. Then we found BN and Starbucks at this great mall, and that was it for me.

It's been really good to have today off. It gave us time to regroup and think, and to change our travel plans...again. We've decided to get back onto I-80 as it's faster, and there are more places to stop, walk the dog, get coffee, etc. US 20 is a great highway if you have lots of time to dawdle and meander...which we really don't. Tomorrow we'll leave Sioux City early in the morning, head south for Omaha, then pick up I-80 and barrel west across half of Nebraska to North Platte. I'm slightly worried about I-80 as there have been numerous incidents--weatherwise--of baseball-sized hail, 70mph winds, and tornadoes, but with any luck we'll be okay. Crossed fingers.

I'm going to settle in now and read one of the books I bought today. I'll catch up tomorrow night from North Platte. It will be a grueling day of driving, though at least we've had today to rest up and chill out. So, Nebraska, here we come...

No comments: