Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, August 20, 2010

Befores...and Afters

Today was Ozzy's day at the groomers. It's very hard to find a good groomer, especially when you've had the best groomers in Edinburgh, and you have no clue who's good or bad in your new location. So, with some trepidation, we took Ozzy to a place I selected from their advertisement in the Yellow Pages, and a telephone conversation, and just crossed my fingers it was the right choice.

Here's the Before, and how he looked this morning...Mister Ragamuffin, for sure. It's been nearly four months since his last grooming and that was in Scotland. Since then he's been the length of Great Britain, flown across The Pond, driven across America, and moved into a new house in the wilderness. It's no wonder he looks bedraggled. I've trimmed him a bit, but don't have the tools to really cut and thin all his hair. His tail was practically dragging on the ground..!!




The two women who own this grooming place were just wonderful. They treated him like their own wee dog, and made him feel safe and unafraid. And, gave him a brilliant cut, clean and overall grooming. When we picked him up, he was bouncy and happy, and ever-so pleased with himself. I'm sure the reduction in hair will also help him stay cooler in this never-ending heat. He looks gorgeous...and of course, first thing we got home, he had to roll around on the floor, and hasn't stopped smiling since we picked him up.

The After...

Now, for the other Before and After. And if anyone heard the scream of a Banshee this morning, not to worry, it was just me.

Oz and I were walking around the yard this morning, before his appointment, and I casually glanced over to the spot next to the garage where I've had to stash the plants. I can't plant the bushes out front until the stain treatment is done, and now with the back deck gone, my only recourse is putting them against the garage wall. Remember this lovely photo from yesterday of my glorious Crape Myrtle..?? You know, the one the deer haven't bothered for a week..??


This is how it looked this morning.


OMG...!!!!  When the shock had worn off, and the screams died down, I decided all bets are now off. No more "oh look at the lovely deer" crap. This is war.

After leaving Oz at the groomer's, we went next door to a large garden center where I had a chat with a very nice woman who told me about this spray called "Deer Fence." It's guaranteed to work, only takes two sprays per week for the first week, then once a month thereafter. She swears by the stuff. It's natural, no chemicals, no harm to man nor beast, though apparently the deer loath the smell. Needless to say, I have drenched the Crape Myrtle and frankly, the smell is terrible but supposed to evaporate to human noses when the spray dries. We'll see. If this doesn't work, I fear venison may be on the menu at some point in the not too distant future.

No comments: