Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Monday, August 16, 2010

Hello from Hades

Seriously, I'm about 5 degrees away from spontaneous human combustion.  We've just returned (4:00pm) from taking Oz to the park and I wish, in retrospect, we had stayed home.  Way, way, too frigging HOT.  Today should be the worst--nearly 100*--though tomorrow will still be in the mid-90s with the chance of thunderstorms, which means humidity.  Who said Roseburg never got this hot..??  Really.  Who..??  I'm asking.  If I find out who it was, I'm going to tie them to a tree in the front yard so they can watch the grass turning browner as each scorching day fries it further into oblivion.  It crackles under your feet now like brittle little sticks.  Ugh.

---------------------------------

Sunday I stepped out onto the back deck and found this lovely sight.  Here's the whole family, out for Sunday brunch at the neighbor's. 
I walked closer to get a better shot, and though Mama wasn't too happy, they all stayed still and posed for me while I took the photo.  It was pretty cool, though when I plant my own flowers I'm not going to be as pleased when they come for brunch in our yard.

----------------------------------

Monday morning.  Chris and Miguel showed up really early, hoping no doubt to avoid the blistering afternoon heat.  They made some amazing progress.  Here are three photos showing how they finished the steps. 

Remember Friday's post about that little "kink" in my straight staircase idea..??  It actually doesn't look too bad, plus it lines up perfectly with the original concrete platform at the bottom.

Tomorrow the guys will hopefully finish the steps, do the railings and maybe as early as Wednesday, this phase of the remodel will be done.  They've been great workers, and are doing a super job.  I love the "before and after" difference.  When they're completely finished, I'll post that difference.

---------------------------------

This morning Alan and I went to the new Costco that just opened in Roseburg last Friday.  It was great, so bright and brand-new...even the shopping carts were sparkling.  Naturally we bought lots of giant-sized stuff, but considering we didn't have much in the house to begin with, that was okay.  I have now filled the freezer and stocked the shelves.  I would be very pleased with myself if I hadn't also bought a King Kong-sized bag of Cheetos.  Cripes.  

No comments: