Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day Five of the Remodel

Things are starting to come together at last.  Chris and Miguel worked really hard today to complete the porch/deck part of the job, including beveling the capping edges and rounding the corners.  Their finish work is really great.  I wasn't too keen on the bowed balusters, but once the upper part was done and I could really see the effect, I guess I like it...maybe.  Originally all I really wanted were plain and simple straight bars--like my simple straight staircase, and remember how that turned out--but Alan and Brian (the contractor) out-voted me.  Still.  It's different and eclectic.  I can't wait for tomorrow when the guys start on the railings going down the steps, then I'll get the bigger picture.

First thing this morning, the posts went up for the railings.
These next photos are of the new railings (or balustrades as Alan insists on calling the finished panels).  See what I mean about the bowed look..??  I think they look like some kind of Dali painting...melting and warped.
It will be interesting to see this project completed and get the real picture of how this bowed rail design works going down the steps.  From the front door, looking out, the new deck/porch is very cool, and an amazing improvement over the old, funky set-up we had last week.  Tomorrow will tell.

------------------------------------

Just before I hit the key to post this, Alan shouted to bring my camera.  I have a pot of Zinnias on the back deck, safe from the deer.  HA..!!  Mama was munching away from below the deck, having a nice Zinnia snack.  Buggers.  There goes my plan to have loads of pots on the deck next Summer..!!  I just missed the shot of her eating my plants, but managed to get one, through the window.  Unfortunately, the baby moved its head at the exact wrong moment.  The fawn is so cute, though awfully young for this time of year, I think.  After the deer left--because Ozzy was perched on the back of the lounge chair in the living room barking his head off--I took this great shot of the sunset.
I would say it's been a busy day, all the way around.

No comments: