Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, August 13, 2010

Very Hot Day Three

Chris and Miguel showed up this morning with a truckload of lumber and no explanation for their disappearance yesterday. Apparently it was for the lumber..??  Oh well. It really doesn't matter as they immediately got to work, and worked like dogs for the rest of the morning and into the afternoon, until it got too hot to breathe, let alone work in the full glare of the blazing 95* sun.

They finished the front porch/deck by lunchtime...and though it looked very funny, hanging off in space like this, it's a wonderful, slightly bigger one than before.  And solid as a rock--which the other one most definitely was not.

This afternoon they got the stringers for the steps done, and the landing, but we hit a snag with my "simple and straightforward" design: There needs to be a turn at the landing.  All I wanted was a straight length of steps, with the landing in between--no turns, no bends, no nothing. Miguel pointed out that to do it my way, the steps would either end in the bark dust (too short), or on the driveway (too long). Instead, if he veers right, off the landing, he will come out on the original cement slab. Buggers.  I totally understand, and even agree, but I so had my heart set on simple.
Monday we will reconvene, after I've had the weekend to ponder the merit of the kink, though it's pretty obvious I will have to forego my original design idea and just let them do what they need to with the stairs.  Isn't it funny that even when you try to avoid complicating things, they end up that way anyway..??

No comments: