Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Deck...Day Five

Today was supposed to be Ozzy's Fence day, but the railings came in sooner than expected for the back deck, so Miguel and a new sidekick got to work installing them.  (Chris is gone for a week at the Burning Man Festival in the deserts of Nevada.  I think Miguel is stalling on the fence so Chris has to help after all when he returns from his holiday.  When he left Friday he was grinning ear to ear that Miguel would be stuck doing the fence.  It's going to be a monumental task, what with the uneven ground and the extreme slopes).  In any case, today's project was the railings.

Two views of the side deck, minus the gate at the far left, which will be finished tomorrow.

At first I thought the rails were too high, but when you're standing at the far corner of the bigger deck (hanging over the drop-off) it's really a perfect height for safety.  The bizarre round shadow thing on the deck is the satellite dish on the roof.  I've never noticed that before.  In the gap--middle of the photo--the railings will go down the steps, and be installed tomorrow along with the gate on the side deck.  I love how you can still see the view through the rails.

The deck was totally trashed with muddy footprints as the guys worked today.  I don't know if it's better we didn't stain the deck beforehand, or worse.  I'm not sure how we're going to get the mud and boot tracks off, other than a hard brushing and the jet spray on the hose.  Which means the deck will be wet all over again, and have to dry before we can do the first coat of stain.  With the familia arriving Saturday, we're pretty much doomed on that whole plan.  Oh well.  It really won't matter to them.

--------------------------------------------------------

On a completely different note:  Alan finished reading my book last night.  Wow.  The only person on the planet who's read it (besides my sister who read the first two chapters).  As he's never read a paranormal romance before, I was a bit leery of even letting him crack the cover, but he finally convinced me.  And how cool...he liked it..!!  Kept giving me hugs all night and saying how clever I was, and how much he enjoyed the story and the plot, and the characters, and wants to find out what happens next in Book Two.  (Funny thing...so do I..!!).

Once our belongings arrive, I will unpack my writing/office stuff and get on with Colin's story.  I'm going to do NaNo again this year so I have to get prepared by November 1st.  I also have just a few revisions to the first book, then I might...maybe...try to send out some feelers to see if anyone would be interested in the brothers and their story.  We'll see.  It's a "gut factor" thing, isn't it..??  Do I have the guts to send my book out into the world..?  Do I have the guts to handle rejection..??  Am I really a gutless wonder and no one will ever read my stories..??  Time will tell.

No comments: