Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bonsai Boys...

Those of you who have followed my adventures over the past few years will remember Bob, my most beloved and beautiful bonsai.


No doubt you will also remember how hard I tried to get Bob special dispensation to accompany me to America--to no avail, of course.  So, you know I ended up giving him a good home with my ex-neighbors in Edinburgh, Lorna and Derek; Derek being a bonsai man in his own right.

A day or two before leaving Scotland, Lorna and Derek gave me a going away gift:  Money to buy a new Bob when we got settled in America--money I have hoarded for the day I find his replacement.  Naturally, there are no bonsai to be found out here in the wilderness.  However, I was talking to Matthew the other day, one thing led to another, and he told me about this little nursery, about ten miles from Roseburg, that might actually have bonsai trees.

This afternoon, after walking the dogs, we drove to the nursery, and **jump up and down with glee** they had a wonderful selection of just amazing bonsai.  Of course, some of them were very old and way too expensive, but I managed to find this little gem...


He doesn't have Bob's stature, or class, but Bob is nearly a decade old, while this guy is a mere sproutling.  It will take some time for me to get him in the proper shape, though he will never have that excellent twisted trunk that Bob does.  Still.  I finally got to spend my "replace Bob" money, and now have another--though very different--bonsai tree.

So, I want to thank Lorna and Derek for two things.  One...for taking Bob in the first place (and he is very much alive and doing well); and second...for giving me the wherewithal to replace him.  Really cool.  Old Bob, New Bob, and I thank you both...

No comments: