Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Boulders and Bad Weather

Today was one of the worst weather days we've had, as far as the landscaping goes.  Of course, it was the very day I had to be outside nearly the whole time.  Pouring rain, and about 15 degrees cooler than normal, it was just a dreadful day.

Except for my three boulders.

I have a thing for rocks, stones, boulders, and have collected pebbles from all over the world, for most of my life.  So, when I wanted some natural art for the front yard, the only thing that would do was a boulder or rock.  Matthew told us to check out the Co-op, so last week Alan and I drove about 10 miles outside Roseburg to the quarry/stone/rock yard to look over the available stock.

Naturally, the first boulder I see--and want desperately--is just a mere 2,700 lbs.  I know that's pretty much out of the realm of possibility, so I move on to two smaller-sized ones.  Later, I tell Matthew I have selected the two and Monday he drives out to see if he can get them in his truck.  I also mention in passing the Goliath boulder, and wax poetic about what a truly amazing thing it is, yada yada.  So, he gets out to the Co-op place, takes a look at what I've set aside, then calls me.  Wants to know if I really want Goliath because he agrees it's a great stone and understands perfectly why I love it.  One thing leads to another and we end up getting all three, though now he can't possibly get them in his truck because of the weight factor, so they have to be delivered by the Co-op.  Today is delivery day.  Totally cool.

The stones arrive, as the rain pours and the mud runs...

Goliath is first off the truck...


There was lots of digging and positioning and repositioning to get this gigantic thing in just the right place as it will never be moved again--unless the entire ridge falls into the abyss...


It took nearly an hour to get to this point.  Seriously.  It was grueling, beyond muddy and miserable, but oh, so worth it when Goliath was in just the right spot...


Here's the finished area, about two hours later with the planting done.  And really, is this a cool piece of natural art, or what..??  Use your imagination here and disregard the frigging mud, picture a beautiful Summer's day with the plants bigger, bark around the boulder, and the unique beauty of this bit of Nature, looking for all the world as if it always lived right in this spot...


Now, back to the two smaller stones, though smaller is a bit misleading.  They were also very heavy, just not so bad as Goliath.  Here's the area cleared for their placement.  Have I mentioned that it rained in buckets, and we were working all day in sloppy, slippery mud..??  I did..??  Well, too bad, I was out in it for hours, so I've earned the right to mention it again--and maybe one or two more times for good measure...


Bad photo taken just after both stones had been maneuvered into place.  It took quite awhile to get them to this point, plus two tractors, a few shovels, and some smaller rocks for balance.  It was very dicey a couple of times, too.  Still.  Perseverance and back-breaking toil can accomplish much...


Couple hours later and again, use your imagination and fast-forward about three months...


The view from the back of the two stones, though I have to say (yes, again), it was absolutely lashing rain when I took this shot and everything--from the driveway to the rocks to the mud puddles--just looks like crap.


Tomorrow we should finish the rest of the planting, then the drip irrigation system will go in on Friday, though I'm finding myself questioning drip irrigation while shivering with cold and soaked from head to totally mud-laden boots.


It's been a very tiring, totally crap weather, hard slog of a day.  But wow, how happy am I to have my boulders...??  Very...

No comments: