Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Slow Down Saturday

I jumped from Thursday to Saturday, and left out Friday entirely.  Too much going on yesterday, plus it was a beautiful day and we were out and about for a change doing some fun things.  I meant to take photos of the landscape progress once the guys left, but they were so determined to finish the drip irrigation system, they stayed and stayed, then it was dinner, walk the dogs up the road, blah, blah...and the blog was forgotten.

So, just now I was outside, not only surveying the dried mud damage, but the irrigation system, which on a scorching hot Summer's day in Roseburg, will work beautifully.  We won't lose water to evaporation, the plants will get a constant, steady supply of water from the ground where it will do them the most good, and we won't have an enormous water bill.  Good all around then.

Our very pretty and dainty Weeping Cherry.  Several of the neighbors have stopped to admire it.  As you drive down the road, it just stands out perfectly in that corner.  Once the dirt is raked, and the bark in place, things should look ever so much better...I hope.


My woodland area under the Birch trees, filled with ferns, baby blue Iris, Day lilies, Oregon grape, Mexican Feather grass--it will be a wonderful little space, and totally shaded in the hot sun by the trees.


A different angle, coming off the front deck steps...


One of my new favorite plants: Heavenly Bamboo, which as it turns out is not bamboo at all, but looks like it.  The variegated leaf colors and the bamboo-like stalks are just totally cool.  I love bamboo, just not their invasive qualities.  With this plant, I get the look without the aggro.


My least favorite area of the whole entire property.  Barry's house looms over this side of our yard and house, plus the ground is just awful; it's virtually bedrock, and slopes very sharply.  We have planted two staggered rows of eleven brilliant red Rhododendrons, then covered the dirt below with 25 little ground cover plants.  I can't think of their name at the moment, though they will grow into a hillside of tiny yellow flowers...at some point anyway.  It took lots of tubing to get the irrigation everywhere along here.


One of the two trees planted in the backyard.  This is the Weeping Twisted Birch, the other is a deep purple Lilac further up the slope.  I love this tree, it's so elegant and interesting, isn't it, with the weeping, and the twisted trunk..??


That about takes care of the landscaping for this week.  It's been a grueling, miserable time, but from now on, it should all be downhill.  Next week is the fine-tuning, the bark, the grass, and the clean-up.  So, wow, that means by next Saturday...We're Done...!!!!  Oh, most definitely we will have to break out the Prosecco for that event..!!

**************************************************************

After boring everyone into a coma with the garden stuff, I have a couple of things to post that are not related to me, mud or meltdowns.  Actually I have a ton of things I haven't posted this week, but I'll settle for just these two for today...

I love this.  To me, I don't think it's so much the power of the words, but more having the ability to use them to create their power...


****************************************************************

And for once, I will finish a post, not with an animal, but with this absolutely adorable little girl.  I want to be her.  Seriously.

We do not stop playing because we grow old.  We grow old because we stop playing.
-- Anon

Via Amo
Have a great weekend everyone...

No comments: