Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, September 17, 2010

Aarrgghh

We're having great difficulty with the delivery of our stuff.  I have talked to the truck driver three times now, and tomorrow at the crack of dawn, I am going down the mountain, picking him up in my car, and driving him along the route so he can see if his 75-foot truck can make the grade.  Never, in all my wildest imaginings, did I think the delivery people would be using a truck so damned big. 

Apparently the company who received our goods from the UK subcontracts to this trucking outfit, then they deliver to several families in one enormous load.  Our stuff would fit in a normal, family-sized U-Haul.  There's virtually no way a 75-ft truck will be able to manuever along our narrow, twisting road; I think the guy can get in, though there's no way he'll get back out.  There is nowhere to turn around and it's a dead-end road. 

To add further insult to injury, they may have to rent a U-Haul, transfer our stuff into it, unload it at the house, and charge us $400.00 for the experience.  Alan is beside himself (justifiably) as we have already paid thousands of pounds for shipping--door to door, UK to US--and suddenly we have a $250.00 charge because the men will have to climb 14 steps to unload our belongings, and now the additional $400 because they are using a monster truck that can't navigate our road.  I can't help but question why we have to pay for their choice in the size of the truck they're using.  What does their method of hauling have to do with us..??  Aarrgghh.

So, it should be interesting.  I won't be posting tomorrow as I haven't a clue how the bloody day is going to go.  Maybe Sunday will be better, and (hopefully) we'll at long last have our stuff...which will be a good thing as every time the frigging phone rings it's more ka-ching, ka-ching.

This photo just about sums up my attitude with this whole thing.  I'm one very cranky cat.

No comments: