Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Some days...

...are definitely better than others.

This morning Ozzy wanted out. No problem, though I hadn't even had my first cup of coffee yet. I thought he would do his usual: once around the house, pee on every bush, back to bed. Today, however, he marched right down the driveway and headed up the road. Buggers. I was wearing the wrong shoes. I had on these slip-on mules, not made for actual walking; more for shuffling around the carpeted house.

We get all the way to the top of the hill, turn around and are ambling back down the steep hill when without warning, my left foot falls out of the shoe, twists my ankle, and I fall, then roll down the bloody road...!!! I hit my elbow, my knee and my hand, besides nearly breaking my ankle and my neck. But, you know what I thought first and foremost...?? Not that I might have nuked myself. No, nothing like that. My first thought was, as I finally rolled to a stop: I hope like Hell nobody saw me..!!  Never mind my injuries.  Nope.  I was most concerned about my (marginal) dignity.  Humans.  Aren't we a strange bunch..??


So, my ankle has been throbbing all day, my elbow is sore, my right hand is scraped, but thank the gods for small favors:  No one saw me..!!!


Sometimes even the most agile still take a tumble--and he wasn't even wearing the wrong shoes..!!

No comments: