Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Time for Fun

On a blistering hot Saturday afternoon (muggy mid-80s), while Alan toils in the front yard, I sit here at the computer, sweltering in the heat, contemplating the past week...month...year. Not a good thing to do when you're hot and tired, let me tell you. Still, the bulk of the house sorting is finally done, and if I think back to this time last week, man, have we come a long way.

So, in light of that, we've decided that Monday we will head out on an adventure. No work, no plans, just a nice, long drive into the mountains to Crater Lake, stopping along the way to take photos of whatever catches my fancy, and enjoying time away from it all. I'm living for the day.

Some random photos of this past week...

My new study/guest room/office (and gulp, NaNo is just around the corner..!!). I haven't moved the laptop in yet, but it will be sitting right in the middle of the table that I've turned into my new desk. I wrote the first book at that very table, so should be able to plot out the second one--in theory. Since I took this photo, I have added some personal stuff around, plus next week sometime we are going to start the daunting task of hanging our pictures around the house. Should be interesting as most of the house is windows.


The duvet from Heaven...and all my pillows (six of them, though you can't see that in the photo). It looks pretty bare, without wall stuff, though that's coming.



We took Ozzy to River Forks Park yesterday. It was a beautiful day, not yet too hot, and he had a great time running hither and yon in the grass. He really, really misses having grass. Up here on Broke Back Mountain, there isn't much that even comes close to grass, and the only things green are the crickets, grasshoppers and trees. Poor Oz.


Another view. We'd been sitting at a picnic table in that clump of trees in the distance, then walked Oz around the whole perimeter of one side of the park. It's truly a big place. We were on the side away from the river, just to see what it was like. It was nice under the trees.


Islands in the Stream.

This morning I got up early, and as I opened the blinds, the sun was just coming up. The valley was in its usual foggy mist and though I have taken several of these photos, I couldn't resist taking a few more. The light from the sun was sparkling in pinks and golds on the mist and was so magical. On mornings like this, it really looks like we're in the clouds and the other ridges across the valley are actual islands in the stream of mist.


[Brief aside here. It was totally hot in here when I sat down to write, so I reluctantly turned on the A/C just to cool things down, but for some reason, I kept getting hotter and hotter. I went outside, where it seemed ever so much cooler, and just now came back in to discover I had turned on the bloody heat by mistake..!! Seriously, I really need a vacation] 

The Comeback Kid 

Remember my deer-decimated Crape Myrtle..?? (And yes, I heard all the laughter).


Well, after hiding it from all deer-related marauders, and putting up the fence, check out the plant now:


It doesn't have any blooms, but it's recovered somehow from being eaten to within an inch of its life..!! Course, I'm afraid to plant it in the front where I'd originally wanted to--the deer factor--but still, IT LIVES..!!

So, all things considered, it's been a very busy time for us, but it looks like we might be getting a grip on things. You can only take it one day at a time and hope that light at the end of the tunnel isn't a big honking train. And, hey, Monday I get to drive away from it all and have an adventure..!!

No comments: