Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Totally Tired...

And not because of the weekend, which was excellent. No, I'm exhausted because Ozzy decided at 11:30pm last night to have some kind of doggy brain fart. He woke me up, wanted outside, and then figured as long as I was up, I could take him for a nice long walk. Let me say that up here on the mountain, it is absolutely pitch dark, no streetlights, no house lights, nothing. Abysmal darkness. Needless to say, I did not take him for a long mountain walk. Back in the house we went, I get undressed, go back to bed, and 15 minutes later, the whole thing repeats. This went on for over an hour (I got up and down four times) until I finally woke Alan up and told him to get the flaming flashlight, we were taking Ozzy for a walk.

We went up the road one way, down the road the other way, called it a night, went back to bed. 15 minutes later, Ozzy wants out again. This kept up until nearly 2:00am. I have no idea what was in his mind, or what he wanted, or what the blazes was going on. At 2:00 I said enough and Alan and I went to bed. Oz spent a few more minutes trying to convince us it was really broad daylight and time for walkies, but it didn't work. Today he is fine, no reason for his unreasonableness. He's all perky and taking his doggy naps and eating his food, while Alan and I are stumbling around like zombies in Night of the Living Dead. Remind me again why we have pets...???

Now, other than Ozzy's weirdness, the weekend was just plain great. Mom got here first, around noon on Saturday, which gave us some time to get her settled, and to sit out on the deck in the sun for a few hours before my sister and Scott (her husband) showed up around 2:30pm. They have the coolest Porsche, which we could hear coming down the road, so we met them in the driveway. Lots of hugs ensued.

My sister is the Martha Stewart of the family. And I mean that in the best possible way; in fact she's actually better than Martha. She is always thinking of ways to make you smile. She brought us a large basket of goodies filled with cool things like Meyer's wafer thin lemon cookies, a bottle of Lambrusco, French truffles, various and yummy snacks, imported Italian pasta, marinara sauce, lemon curd...and I can't remember what else. She had some of my favorite things, and some of Alan's, all tucked into two tea towels in this cool basket with handles that will make an excellent magazine holder. She brought Mom a basket loaded with her favorite things, too.

She also gave me this: A Fiestaware pitcher filled with flowers. I love Fiestaware (who doesn't..??) and this color is just stunning, especially with the similar tint in the flowers.


After they unloaded everything, we all piled in the car (ours...not the two-seater Porsche) and took Oz to the park, then we toured Roseburg. It was a perfect weather day, mid-70s, pleasant and nice. Back to the house, some drinks and snacks, then a great Italian dinner of tortellini, crusty bread, Caesar salad and wine. Much laughter over dinner (and if any of you repeat the "granny" story, I will hunt you down and you will pay..!!  Don't forget: What happens in Roseburg, stays in Roseburg).

Sunday we went to Kruse's Farms, this amazing place down in the valley where you can get fresh picked everything in veg and fruits, and much, much more. Scott was like "Oh yeah, fruits and vegetables, can't wait to see that." I told him after the farm, we would take a drive around the countryside. Then we get there, and who fills an entire basket with stuff..?? Uh huh. At one point I think I heard him tell my sister he wanted to live there. And their bakery..?? Lordy. Fresh baked pies of every flavor and variety, plus jams, sauces, preserves, honey, etc., etc.

After buying out Kruse's, we took a long meander up the hills and down the dales around Roseburg, then back to the house for a little Rest and Relaxation. Everyone took a nice afternoon nap, while my sister and I sat out in the sun on the deck and talked. It was perfect.

Dinner of BBQ pork chops (great job Alan..!!), Gail's salad (her recipe which is fabulous: apples, celery, cranberries, mayo, a little sugar and the juice of half a lime) and Bourbon baked beans. Ambrosia. Much more laughter and stories. It's beyond wonderful sometimes to just sit, laughing around a dinner table, with people that you've known all your life.

Monday morning Gail and Scott had to head for home and we were very sorry to see them go so soon.


Could that Porsche be cooler..?? My photo doesn't do it justice at all. The jade green color is just beautiful...though I think its "official" color is called stone gray, which I don't really understand because it's neither stone nor gray in color. Go figure. Nutty Porsche people.


Since Mom wasn't leaving until Tuesday, we decided to hit some of the thrift stores and trading posts around town. What fun. I found my heart's desire: a cast iron frying pan (so heavy I can barely lift it), in perfect condition, for the unheard of price of $6.00, then Alan found this:


It's a very old, cast iron, child's toy train set. And I mean very old. It's about 17" long, with the tallest part being the caboose at about 3-1/2"; the whole train is amazingly heavy. We were at the Humane Society's Thrift Shop when he found it, and because it was Labor Day, everything was 50% off. What a steal he got on this little gem.

Here are the individual cars.  Engine, Passenger Car and Caboose.  And what a funny name, caboose.  I wonder who came up with it..??




(Okay, I had to look it up. If you're interested in this sort of trivia, here it is. Caboose).

We had a great day out. Back home for Chinese, some television, then off to bed as Mom had to leave early this morning. It was very weird to suddenly have the house to ourselves again.  I wish everyone would come back so we could carry on some more.

Since we know how my night turned out--thanks to Ozzy--I can only say I've been in a fog all day and have probably just rambled along here, my writing making little or no sense. If that's the case, blame it on the dog. Who at this very moment is sound asleep in the middle of the living room floor. On reflection, I think he might have the right idea. It's a drizzly, rainy day here (miraculously, the bad weather waited until the long weekend was over), and a nice nap sounds perfect. Yawn.

No comments: