Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Random Stuff

The other day I discovered an online newspaper that covers Roseburg and Douglas County.  The News-Review also has a photo gallery and as I was perusing the pictures, I had a thought to send in one of my own.  This morning I got an email that the newspaper had accepted my photo of the Turkey Vulture.  How cool is that..??

Yesterday, after returning from Ozzy's long afternoon walk in the park, I was closing the blinds against the never-ending scorching sun when I noticed the entire valley was fogged in.  As I puzzled over the fact it was way too hot for fog, I realized it wasn't fog, but smoke.  When I moved from one side of the windows to the other, I could see this enormous billow of smoke across the valley.


Of course, the first thing I thought was brush fire..!!, followed by visions of flames burning down all the trees, and the valley, and our house and having to evacuate.  Honestly, I need to stop watching disaster movies, though this was sort of scary.


We kept our eye on it for a few hours, until it finally started to dissipate.  I don't know what's on the other side of that little ridge, so maybe it was just a farmer burning his fields.  I would think, however, that burning with that magnitude of fire/smoke shouldn't be done until after some serious rain; its been bone dry here for months.

I was very relieved when I took this next photo.  And within another hour, there was nothing there at all to account for the fire, and the breeze had cleared the valley of all the smoke.  Very strange.


Later, as we sat out on the front porch, the sun set behind these odd, wispy clouds.  They reminded me of the clouds you see with falling rain, but there wasn't any rain.

 

They hung around through the whole sunset, never moving or changing.  Maybe it had something to do with the fire and smoke..??

Tomorrow Alan wants to head for Sutherlin, this lovely little hamlet about 13 miles north of our house.  They have a Wednesday Farmer's Market and the town is supposed to be very quaint and cool.  I will take pictures.  Unless I have my arms full of fresh produce.

No comments: