Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Eureka..!!

When I woke up this morning and made my way to the coffee pot, I walked past the 10,000 color charts/chips that I'd left scattered all over the kitchen counter top last night.  Suddenly the two colors I wanted for the house were right in front of me.  I grabbed the chips and dashed out to the deck, in the natural light, and Houston, we have liftoff..!!   I was so excited, I forgot I was in my pajamas on the front porch.  After a bit of searching and finagling, I even found the color for the three doors.  Ah...what a relief.

The body of the house will be in a color called Rock Cliffs, which to me seems like it would be gray.  It's not.  More a warm desert sand color.  The trim is Jamesboro Gold, though again, isn't actually a true gold color at all, but rather a rich, deeper shade of a brownish gold.  The doors will be in this dynamite shade of green called Dark Sage.  I tried to take some photos of the chips, but it was impossible to get the right tones/shades.  I'll just have to take pictures of the before and after when the guys get around to painting the house.

As I was flipping through the paint colors, I was struck by the names.  Some of them make no sense at all to me (Rock Cliffs being one), but others conjured up whole plot scenarios in my mind...or would make brilliant book titles.

Make No Sense Names
Ghost Ship  -  Wouldn't you think this would be a misty gray..??  No.  It's brown.
Twilight Stroll  -  I see this like a dusky rose, or mauve-ish purple.  Nope.  It's teal blue.
Niagara Mist  -  White and foamy and ethereal..??  Wrong.  It's a yellowish green.
Foggy Beach - This one really throws me.  I can easily see a foggy beach, and have been on several in my day.  Never were they an olive color. 

Plots/Book Titles
Winter's Breath
Midnight Hour
Moondance
Cathedral Glass

You gotta wonder who puts names to these colors.  Some of them are great, others don't match any kind of reality.  Oh well.  I don't care anymore.  I've found the house colors and now can get on with other things.

**************************************************

Earlier today I was walking past the big window that overlooks the backyard.  At the top of a large pine tree sat this lovely creature, a female Blue Jay.


I took the photo really fast, thinking she would spot me and fly away.  Not so.  It seemed like she was posing for me as I took these:

 

Such pretty birds.  I love the males, with their punk rock topknots.  I'll probably never get a photo of one though as they are always squawking and flapping and flitting around...sort of like any typical male.

So now that the Great Color Search is over (deep sigh), I'm going to gather my highlighter pen, post-it notes, tablet and pen, and The Book...and nestle into the big, comfy lounge chair, as the rain pelts down outside, and read.  A good Saturday afternoon after all...

No comments: