Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Great Pumpkins

Last Friday we took Ozzy to River Forks park.  Next to the park is an Oregon State University Master Gardeners garden that we keep saying we will visit, so after Oz's walk, we did.  We wandered through the various areas: kids, butterfly, Zen, roses, vegetables, etc.  The veg area was really cool, though what captivated me totally were two gigantic pumpkins growing under some trees.  And I really mean gigantic.  Of course, I don't have my camera with me, but no problem, we'll just come back the next day.  Well, what with the picture hanging and the final organizing of stuff at the house, we didn't make it back to the park over the weekend.  Today, I make sure I have the camera, and we head off to the park/garden.

To discover:  The pumpkins were gone...!!!!!  Aarrgghh.  I stared in total disbelief at the two gaping holes under the trees where just three days ago were Great. Big. Pumpkins.  Nothing to see now except empty vines.  How cranky was I..??  I don't even know how they were moved without a crane or a team of oxen.  How could they disappear in just a few days..??  Buggers.

So, to compensate (not), for the missed pumpkin photos, I took these instead.

View of the Butterfly section of the garden.  Things aren't nearly as bountiful as they would be in the summer, but it's still colorful.


This part of the garden was called Recycling Resources.  They had several different alternatives to pots, including this great old claw-foot tub.


Really vibrant oranges and yellows, and all still blooming in October.


Cool archway leading into the children's section.  There were lots of garden-related things for kids to do and/or learn about gardens.


A large and very vivid dahlia.  It made me miss all the ones I had in the Edinburgh garden.  They are such brilliant flowers, though I bet at our new house, the deer would enjoy them just as much as I do, so no growing these in my garden, I guess.  Drat.


As we drove towards home, we decided to stop at Kruse Farms, which is right on the way.  I figured if anyone knew where I could find a pumpkin patch, they would.  I was just determined to get some October pumpkin photos.  Alan was very agreeable, though I suspected it was not to find pumpkins for me to photograph, but to snag a freshly baked, homemade pie from Kruse's bakery.

What we saw as we drove in confirmed that Kruse's would indeed know where I could find some pumpkins.


Turns out, the pumpkin patch is about half a field away, behind me as I took this shot.  The girl at the register told me I could just drive into the field and take as many photos as I wanted.  Woo hoo.  It might not be the Great Pumpkins, but it was better than nothing.


I took a load of pictures, though really, one patch of pumpkins looks pretty much like another, doesn't it..??  Now, two gigantic pumpkins, growing under a stand of trees...that's a photo.  Sigh. 

Oh.  And why were we standing in line, talking to the girl at the register..??  I knew Alan had an ulterior motive for going to Kruse's...and it wasn't to find me some pumpkins. 


A Strawberry/Rhubarb pie for dessert.  My mouth is watering in anticipation.  Must go get dinner on the table.

No comments: