Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rainy Day Thoughts

A gloriously, wonderful, rainy Sunday in Roseburg.  I can't begin to describe my elation at the weather.  Rain, sort of cold, almost autumnal, and so like Edinburgh I finally feel comfortable.

I changed my Meandering photo last night.  I was in a funk apparently--judging by my boohoo-I'm-tired-and-grouchy blog--so after posting, I wistfully shifted through my digital photo albums and the picture, taken between Crieff and Dunkeld, in Perthshire, just hit me as the one I wanted to look at.  (When my sister came to Edinburgh to visit us a few years ago, we were returning from the Highlands and stopped to take pictures of this view.  As the three of us stood there, admiring the mountains, the farm road going off into the distance, the quiet, a cuckoo began...singing..??...cuckooing...??  Whatever.  It was cool.  My sister and I agreed that we had never heard a live cuckoo before.)  Alan and I went on a long drive one day last year, ended up in the same place, and I took this photo.

I miss Scotland so much, I had to call my ex-neighbor and friend Morag this morning, just for a hit of "home".  We talked for quite awhile, catching up on the neighborhood news and other topics.  During the course of our chat, she asked me where my collection of vases were in the new house.  I told her I would take some photos and post them in the blog today.

So, for Morag:

The kitchen...and the vases above the cabinets.  And the doggie cookie jar, next to Jack the terracotta Pumpkin, on top of the frig.  I'll be setting Jack outside in a week or so with some real pumpkins when I get back to Kruse Farms to buy them before Halloween.


A closer look at the dog/cat cookie jar.  I bought this years ago in a great shop on the south side of Edinburgh.  They had the most amazing selection of unique and unusual cookie jars; this one was just too perfect to pass up.


More vases, and my Italian pottery at the far end, by the clock.  It's great to see the Italian stuff, which had been in a box, in the attic, in Edinburgh for literally years.  (Pretty hard to see in the photo, though I love looking up and seeing them on the cabinet.)


A broader view of the kitchen...and thank goodness for those outer cabinets that surround the kitchen.  Without them, we would be doomed for space to put things.  And believe me when I say: they are stuffed.


Better view of the vases, cookie jar and Jack.


After taking the above photos, I wandered into the study and took these few pictures.  When I posted the cubby box photo, in a blog last week, I didn't have the futon couch set up.  Here's how the guest room part of the room looks, now that the study is totally finished.


When company comes (and Morag: you figure out when you can come, and we'll take care of the rest..!!), I can move my desk/table to the left a bit, unfold the futon couch, and Bob's your uncle.  This will be a great room to work in, too.


Except for maybe...this part.  I sat in my chair, at my writing table, to take this shot.  What a distraction.  On the other hand, it might free my mind to soar.  Well...in theory at least.  (And see how crappy the weather is..??  Outstanding...)


So...there you go, Morag..!!  I can always picture you, and Poppy, and the neighborhood; these photos might answer your questions, and give you a better visual of my space.

*********************************************

An interesting thing.  Today is that once-in-a-century date: 10/10/10...and coincidentally, this is my 110th posting in 2010.

Okay...maybe that factoid is just interesting to me...??

But here's the best part:  I have done absolutely nothing today.  Yahoooooo..!!  Except for get homesick and call Edinburgh, take Ozzy on a rainy afternoon walk in the park, and write this blog, I truly haven't done a thing.  Bliss, perfection, heaven.  Now I am going to get my book, cuddle up on the sofa, and...**gasp**...READ..!!  A most excellent Sunday.

No comments: