Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Quiet Sunday Afternoon...

It's a quiet day now, though the weekend itself has been anything but. 

My sister was driving down to visit Mom for Friday and Saturday, then coming here for Saturday night and Sunday before driving back up north in the afternoon.  That was the plan, though when our mother ended up in the hospital Friday morning, that added some drama to the weekend.

Mom had some kind of gastro-intestinal attack and had to be admitted for tests and meds, and hospital time, to solve the mystery of why.  All ended well, with Mom now home safe and sound, but the pleasant weekend my sister had planned with her/me didn't quite work out as expected.

Still. Once everything went from high anxiety to everything is fine, my sister came here late Saturday and left about noon today.  It was, as always, great to see her, though it seemed like she'd barely arrived, before she was leaving.  She brought me several yummy treats from our favorite store, Trader Joe's, so I'm stocked up for some great meals in the future.

I made Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) Mac and Cheese for dinner--the best recipe ever--and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  This is the first time I've made the cookies since being back in America, so it was an extra treat--besides eating them--to have the right chocolate chips, instead of the British version.  I made a huge amount of Mac and Cheese, so she could take dinner home with her for tonight, then Alan and I will suck down eat the rest for our dinner.  Naturally, I made plenty of cookies so I could send a bunch home with my sister--and hopefully they will all make it home for her to share with her husband..!!

Last night, after dinner, we were standing outside as the sky darkened.  I took this photo of a beautiful sunset, which somehow came out very surreal and smudged, though the colors are accurate.  My camera must have been in macro mode as I have a brilliant image stabilizer function on everything except macro.  Or maybe it was the two bottles of Lambrusco the three of us drank before, during and after dinner...


After my sister left today, we took Ozzy to the park.  It's a glorious Fall day, in the high 60s, blue sky and just about perfect, weather-wise.  Oz is doing much better with his back injury, and the meds are obviously working as he's no longer squeaking and/or yelping every time he moves or gets up off the floor, though it was pretty crappy for the first three days after he hurt himself.  I took my camera as the trees are finally starting to turn.

This one, in the middle of the park, was just spectacular in the sunshine.


We didn't stay long as we are still minimizing Ozzy's exercise until next Wednesday (vet's orders).  After we got home, Alan and Oz took afternoon naps, and I sat out on the front porch in the sun.  This is my favorite view from my deck chair.  I love that gnarly oak tree, which is perfectly centered in the view.


If I stand up, this is the picture without the stair rails.


I think it must be about time for a cup of coffee and a few of those chocolate chip cookies.  And, yes, that's one of the few advantages of adulthood: you can eat dessert before dinner if you want to.

1 comment:

stonegray356 said...

The macaroni and cheese was outstanding!! Though I was only alloted four cookies for lunch today, I did manage to get two for dessert last night. Also excellent!!