Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Groin By Any Other Name...

My bro-in-law Scott, an engineer, clarified something for me.  Seems the Inexplicable Groin Sign I posted yesterday means something altogether different than those pesky manly bits...though the spelling on the sign--at least anywhere in the world except America--is usually groyne.  According to Scott and Wikipedia, a groyne is a rigid hydraulic structure built from an ocean shore, or from a river bank, that interrupts water flow and limits the movement of sediment.  So, those of us that were clueless, we have learned something new.  However, I think it's a truly funny word for an engineering feat.

Here are two signs, one from South Carolina and the other from Brighton, England.  And, sorry, I know I'm a total juvenile here, but the word--on a sign--still makes me laugh...



This is great.  A man named Allen Swift, from Springfield, MA, received this car from his Dad as a graduation gift in 1928.  It's a Rolls-Royce Piccadilly P1 Roadster.  He was the only owner, and drove it until 2005, when he died at the age of 102.  Not only is that factoid astounding, but look at that car..!!  What a beauty.

Via Presurfer

My friend Morag, in Edinburgh, sent me this hilarious little video.  There is always the question of what a Scotsman wears under his kilt.  A true Scot would go commando, though I'm not sure why that is.  Might have something to do with they didn't have underwear "back in the day."  To my mind, going without gives me shivers--and not for the reason you're thinking...!!  It's just too bloody cold most of the time to have...um...dangling participles.  In any case, here's a prank by a guy in a kilt, up a ladder.  Good one...and how hard do those folks try NOT to look, but somehow can't help themselves.


That's all I've got for a dreary, damp Saturday.  Yes, the sunshine--after days and days--is taking a break and we have cloud-filled skies with a threat of rain.  I don't mind.  Except when we take the dogs out this afternoon for their walkies.  It's been ages since a Swamp Walk and I haven't missed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew that if I kept at it that sooner or later I'd get my name on the internet. Thank you.

terlee said...

Hey, I give credit where credit is due. And, thanks to you, I learned something new. Cool.