Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday Blues

A typical Monday: nothing going right, too tired, and very cranky.

The weather is dreadful with howling winds, and storm warnings about flooding, snow, etc.  I hope this might be the final hurrah for Winter.  I don't mind the bad weather really, it's just having to go out for the dogs' walks.

Our landscape project has hit a snag.  Why? you ask.  Because it looks like crap.  I can't even take a photo of how bad the front looks right now.  Matthew and crew seem to be making things up as they go, which is, of course, NOT how we planned it.  To further compound the situation, this is the week of the Home and Garden Show, so basically they won't be around to fix things until next week.  I'm about ready to go out and start doing things myself.

I got a jury summons.  I can't tell you how upset I am about it.  I've barely been back in America for five frigging minutes and already I've been selected.  For the entire month of April.  There is no way I can waste an entire month sitting around a damned courthouse on the off-chance I will be called.  Or worse: getting called and wasting even more time..!!  I've been stewing about this all weekend.  I'm going to write a letter and try to get excused, but my luck..??  I'm screwed.  I really, deeply, resent this judicial process.  According to the summons, it's my "civic duty" and if I refuse I can be held in contempt.  It seems to me that--as an American citizen--I should have the right to refuse, rather than be threatened with jail time.  Does coercion seem like the proper way to run a justice system..??

So.  Because of the wind howling all night around the bedroom windows, the mess in the front yard that will have to be fixed somehow, and my imminent arrest for civil disobedience...I didn't sleep a wink last night.  I'm tired, cranky, and wish I were in Italy with my little shopping basket at the market, chatting to the old Italian grandmothers about recipes...


Buggers.

No comments: