Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Thursday, February 3, 2011

R.I.P. Riley

I heard from my ex-partner, Art, last night that our Jack Russell, Riley had passed away.  He had reached the grand old age of 16-1/2 years, but even knowing his days were surely numbered, it's heartbreaking that he's gone.  Most devastating for Art, as he and Riley were inseparable for all those years, and Riley was truly his best friend and sidekick.  I hope he's now cavorting and running happily in Doggy Heaven with Wes--my sister/bro-in-law's dog and Riley's brother--who passed away three years ago.

Riley was a wonderful, loving companion.  He will be missed more than I can say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will write Art today, but I tear up every time I start something. It seems an end of an era to me though we alway knew or know that dogs' lives are way too short. I remember when we came home with Wesley that Gail was already concerned about the attachment. I'm not sure if it's the huge amounts of time we spend playing with them or walking behind them, the comfort they give us or the love they show us despite just having been yelled at, but they are sorely missed . . . a deep, empty pit missed. And JR's just seem to have such a free-spirited attitude I think we all envy. Without it we're just ordinary people.

One of my favorite quotes (and I don't know who said it, but Mark Twain, Shakespeare, Ben Franklin or anon said everything) is that "if dogs don't go to heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go".

terlee said...

I love that quote, and it just about says it all, doesn't it..??