Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Busy, busy...

Yesterday we went with Matthew, the landscape guy, to a local nursery to see what plants/trees we wanted for the grounds.  Saturday we are to drive north to the big city and go to a large nursery supply place, but Matthew wanted a glimmer of what I had in mind, so we went local first.

It was a glorious afternoon to be out looking at flowers and plants.  Got to 71* and was so warm and pleasant, it made wandering around the gardens totally enjoyable.  We bought a few things--because Matthew said his supplier up north didn't carry these particular specimens--then more or less nailed down the types of plantings I have been envisioning, at least for the most part.  

Here's what we got yesterday...

I love these:  Mexican Feather Grass.  I will plant these around some boulders, maybe with a fern or two for company.  Up close they are variegated, with gold and green and yellow all mixed together.


At the side of the house, near the back door, is a very shaded, quiet area.  These Hellebore will work just perfectly there...


I couldn't resist this beauty.  The fragrance, the twisty coil of the branches, and the perfect little white flowers just captivated me from the first moment.  This Osmanthus will grow about 6 feet tall, so the place where it's sitting in the photo is just about where it's new home will be when we're ready.  It will cover up the mine shaft area under the porch stairs...and smell heavenly when we're sitting out on the front deck.


Again, irresistible.  These Japonica usually come in white, but when I saw these delicate, Victorian looking, rose-colored ones, well, what can I say...I had to snatch them up.  The perfect mauve/rose color isn't coming across in the photo, but you can sort of get the tone.


Here's the whole group, including the new deep purple Lilac tree which will go in the backyard on the slope.  This is just the tiny beginnings of the ultimate finished garden, but I feel it's a good start.


Of course, I can't have any of the flowers from the Edinburgh cottage garden, though there will be some flowering shrubs, ferns, herbs and a variety of daylily that the deer supposedly won't eat.  It's really annoying that I have to build the new garden around the wildlife, but there you go.  Such is life in the wilderness.

Almost forgot.  I took these shots of the back last night, after we returned from the nursery.  This is the new landing as you step off the back deck.


Ozzy, sitting on the edge of the landing before going down the steps...


The piazza, steps and new enclosure wall.  The shadows make the stone on the piazza look a different color...they're not.  All the stones are the same color.


In this photo, I'm standing on the upper deck, looking down onto the piazza.  The part where the steps go down, and where it looks slightly dangerous if you fell off, will be where the BBQ or one of the whiskey barrel planters will go to minimize the break-your-neck aspect.


All things considered, when the plants and trees are in place, the back will look pretty good.  And how totally cool to be rid of the Path of Doom...


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Today we went over the planting diagram Matthew drew up, based on yesterday's field trip, and with any luck, the front will look very cool by this time next week.  More rhododendrons than I would have liked, though I understand the why and wherefore of having them:  color, concealment and deer-proofing.  To me, they require a lot of maintenance, like roses, but if they serve their purpose, I guess it's okay that I'll have to pinch a million sticky deadheads after the growing season.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll be off the grid tomorrow for the jury duty crap, and again on Saturday as we head to the big city for the landscape stuff, so have a great weekend everyone.  I can only hope you'll have a much better Friday than I anticipate having.  Buggers...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your plant choices are great! It's going to look so much different than when we were there last. Your boys are doing a beautiful job too. The steps and brick work are first rate.

Good luck tomorrow. Saturday will help make up for it.

terlee said...

Nothing will make up for it.