Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dirt

Yes, dirt.  Piles and mounds and hills of dirt.  The top soil is going in today on the front yard, which is exciting and encouraging, and already is making things look better.

The truck driver moves the rig by remote control, which is interesting.  In this picture, he's just making sure all is ready for the dirt to be blown into the yard.


Now he's standing in the road, remotely spraying the soil and moving the truck along as Matthew watches the flow.  It's very good soil--really rich and loamy--and should be great for all the new plantings and trees.  Though, I've gotta say, it's pretty strange to see this huge dump truck move along with no one in the driver's seat.  Right now it's reversing up the road, seemingly by itself, no one in the cab, though the steering wheel is moving...


It's great to finally be heading toward the planting stage.  We're starting to think of what trees and shrubs to put in, plus I want to make a trek to this place Matthew has mentioned that has really cool boulders; there are a few places around the front that I want more rugged and natural.

Today it's in the high 60s, warm and totally pleasant tee shirt weather (I know...how amazing is that..??).  And look..!!!  The Birch trees in the front are getting their leaves.  I can't believe it.  The trees have sprouted almost overnight.  Truly, Spring is here...at least in southern Oregon. 

 

The landscape guys are still working to finish the backyard, too.  Later today I will take some photos of the ex-Path of Doom, and the new piazza.  I was very cranky when they jackhammered my planting/privacy area, though it has given me a larger area for my little piazza/niche space.  I'll just have to do containers, I guess, instead of ground planting.

Speaking of containers.  We got two whiskey half-barrels over the weekend--at a very good price I might add--and because there's no place to put them outside just yet, we stored them in the garage.  OMG.  I could have gotten falling-down drunk on the fumes the next morning when I walked into the garage...!!  Wow.  Talk about a contact high...whew..!!  The fumes have mostly dissipated now, over these past few days--with the garage doors wide open--and I can only hope that whatever was stored in these barrels will help my plants grow.  Either that, or it will make alcoholics of the deer when they eat them.

No comments: