Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday, Monday...

This one's for all of you trudging to work this morning, or just starting another week.  I think Monday must be the worst day of all.  It doesn't matter of you're dragging your tired butt to school, work, or somewhere else...it's still Monday.


Now, yesterday that's more how I felt.  I got up at 7:30, staggered into the kitchen, got my coffee and groped my way down the hall to the Study.  And how upset was I when the first blog I read said cheerfully: "Did you remember to change your clocks?"  What?  Eyes swivel to computer clock.  Well, crap.  It's only 6:40am.  I just wasted my "free" Fall Back hour by getting up too early.

And, what's up with changing time anyway??  Why are "we" (and I use that word very, very loosely) messing with time?  Why can't we just leave well enough alone and save our sanity, sleep and biorhythms from this insane practice?

************************************************

I actually reached the 25% mark on the NaNo writing yesterday, no doubt because I wanted those Italian pastries.  When I was finished with the book for the day, I raced into the kitchen and began throwing the ingredients together so I could get the Zeppole made before dinner.

Here's how they look, bobbing in the olive oil, just beginning to puff up into heavenly little balls, right before your eyes.


This is how they look after being rolled in a cinnamon/sugar mix.  Mouth-watering.


Zeppole are super easy to make.  The hardest part of the whole recipe was trying to maintain the temperature of the oil.  I don't usually fry things--I'm more a "grill it, simmer on the stove, or shove it in the oven" kind of cook--so there's no reason to have one of those deep fat fryer deals.  Still, regardless of constantly fiddling with the temp dial, they turned out great.  Like little cinnamon/sugar puffs of air.

****************************************

Already today isn't shaping up too well.  We've got some things to do this morning down the mountain, the painter guys are back to prepare the garage floors for sandblasting, and I can't seem to get motivated at all, or figure out where in the scheme of things I will find time to write today. 

So...a typical Monday, then.

No comments: