Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Brain Lapse

Yesterday I totally forgot to post...again!!  Too bad I can't send my brain out for a good vacuum and polish; those cobwebs and dust bunnies are getting a bit thick on the ground in the brain pan.

Segue way to why I forgot to post yesterday:  Housecleaning.  I was fried from vacuuming, dusting, polishing, floor washing, laundry, walking Ozzy, etc., etc., so by the time I actually sat down, sometime after dinner, I couldn't do much more than watch bad television--and coma-inducing bad television at that, which was just what I needed.  If there's one thing I am NOT, it's domestic.  I like decorating and arranging and all that stuff, but cleaning and scrubbing??  Nah, I'd be much happier if someone else did it.

***********************************************

Tuesday afternoon we went into town and walked down Main Street (well, Jackson Street here).  There were some interesting shops, though it's not the kind of downtown I would have expected in Small Town America.  There are two malls near here that have, sadly, siphoned off most of the shoppers, so it's a very quiet, sparse part of town.  I did find a fabulous quilt shop however, just crammed to the rafters with fabrics and quilts, though there wasn't a soul in the place except us.  We also went into an antique store, a really cool stationery store, and a New Age shop, which just about covered the downtown area.  They don't even decorate the lamp posts or storefronts for Christmas, as you would expect, so there wasn't a glimmer of a festive air about things.  Guess the malls have pretty much killed this aspect of Roseburg.  I tried desperately not to compare anything to an Edinburgh Christmas, which is totally festive, filled with Christmas spirit and crowded with life.  



Of course, I failed...then got cranky because I couldn't find anything exciting or unique for gifts, to say nothing of getting roused into a Holiday mood.  Bah humbug.


************************************************

Yesterday was pretty much a wash.  Well, yes, I did much washing, but we didn't do anything to write home about, is what I mean.  It was a lovely, sunny day so our walk with Oz in the afternoon was good, at least.  Last night it got very cold, and this morning everything is covered in a hard, icy frost, and right now is about 36*.  I expect, when the mist burns off, it will be another sunny day, and we so thank our lucky stars that we're not spending the winter in Edinburgh this year; they are having yet another round of snow and bad weather after just a few days of warmer temperatures.

************************************************

Here's a cool thing:  Yesterday we got our reimbursement check from Ozzy's illness and hospital stay.  They paid nearly three-quarters of the total tab (which was big), and more than I expected them to pay, plus the check came in record time with virtually no hassles whatsoever.  I can't stress enough how important pet insurance is, especially these days when veterinary services are so expensive.  Our carrier, PetPlan, is the best, and yes, that's a free advertisement for them.

************************************************
I will leave you with this funny photo.  Doesn't say much about their product, does it??  Oops....

No comments: