Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Miscellanea

I got sidetracked yesterday with a writing project and totally forgot about a blog post.  I figured I could crank out the stuff related to the project in the afternoon, and get on with other things shortly thereafter.  Uh huh.  I am my own worst enemy.  It has done me no good whatsoever to have been an editor and/or worked in bookstores.  I don't know when to stop editing...it's compulsive, and bloody time-consuming.  So, my quick little project took me until 8:45 last night.  Buggers.

This is reminiscent of another problem I have.  Years ago I took a speed reading course, hoping it would help with school work, jobs, etc.  I have been doomed ever since.  Why?  Because of that fateful class, I can rip through a book faster than anyone on the planet.  I retain everything, and still love my books and reading, but there is no savoring, no leisurely stroll through the pages.  I can't slow it down.

There must be a psychological term for someone who reads too fast and edits excessively.  Give me some time and I'll come up with a word.  Course, I'll need the time for editing, changing, revising...

**************************************************

The weather has been astounding these past few days.  Sunday and Monday were in the 60s, if you can believe that.  It's record-breaking temperatures for December, though after a monumental storm last night, this morning is back to normal: cool, a bit chilly even, and rainy.  La Nina is having an effect world-wide, and fortunately for southern Oregon, that has meant unseasonably warm weather as opposed to the miserable snows and floods elsewhere.

**************************************************


Picture Captions
Here are a few links to things I thought were interesting to read this morning.  Nothing noteworthy, just little tidbits to peruse while having a cuppa.

This is a great site for calendars, world clocks, how many days old you are (which I am really sorry I did!), and other odd time/date related info.

Ever wondered how to wrap a cat for Christmas?  Amazing how the cat just...well...lets itself get wrapped like a furry present.



Hilarious link to a writer who is fed up with describing HP's ink cartridges.  Haven't we all felt like this about our jobs at some point?

This could be the cutest puppy I have ever seen.  He truly looks like a fuzzy, cuddly stuffed teddy bear.

***********************************************

Okay, the rain clouds have dissipated, the sun is streaming in the window and I can't see the screen on my laptop, so I'll stop here.  Alan is getting a much-needed haircut this morning and, lucky me, I get to browse the bookstore at the mall, though browsing is a stretch...it's a very small shop.  I have more books on my own shelves than they do.  Oh well.  It will be more fun than writing HP ink cartridge descriptions.

No comments: