Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, December 3, 2010

Skiing in Edinburgh

I just had to share this because it's so unprecedented:  A video of a guy skiing down Arthur's Seat..!!  There are avalanche warnings and all kinds of weird snow-related things in Edinburgh, but the skiing bit is just astounding.  And I thought last winter was bad..!!  

Alan and I were looking at live webcams this morning to see how much snow was in the city, then I watched a live stream of the Christmas Festival in Princes Street Gardens, with the carousel and ferris wheel...and I got so depressed that I wasn't there, I had to stop.  Why do I torture myself..??  I don't know.  Watching the webcams brought back such memories.  Alan and I rode the ferris wheel one year and I got some amazing photos from the top, when the wheel stopped, of the castle and the gardens.

It was strange to watch people walking along the Royal Mile in real time: a guy with his dog, a couple throwing snowballs, the Christmas Tree in the forecourt at St. Giles.  I'm looking at live action, from 6,000 miles away..!!  I wish someone would invent teleportation.  I would be back there in a nanosecond.

Video courtesy of YouTube

We're thinking about getting our Christmas tree today, though I'm waffling.  What an expense, since we have to start from ground zero with all the decorations, ornaments, etc., as we don't have any of that stuff here.  Undecided if I want to do it, though I love the fun and beauty of a house filled with Christmas.  After all, it's only once a year.  And therein lies the rub:  It's only once a year; do I really want to spend the money..??

Speaking of waffling.  We had waffles for dinner last night and yum, were they good.  It's been ages since I've had a waffle, let alone made one.  The new waffle iron worked like a dream, and it didn't hurt that the waffles themselves were swimming in real maple syrup.  Good thing these are a treat, rather than a normal occurrence...I wouldn't last the year without keeling over from carb overload.  Still.  It was a really delicious dinner.  My clogging arteries enjoyed it as well.

No comments: