Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year

Well, this is it...the last day of 2010.  Doesn't it seem like just the other day everyone was all hysterical about Y2K..??  A whole decade has passed since then, and now we're starting the second decade tomorrow.  Cripes.  This is exactly why I don't like new year celebrations:  I should be celebrating the fact that Life is fleeting and time stops for no one...??

Another Scottish contribution--among a myriad--used by the world for New Year's Eve events:  the singing of Auld Lang Syne.  I doubt there are two people on the planet who know all the lyrics, but still, nearly everyone can mumble sing the first part.  I think the major reason no one knows or remembers the verses is that by midnight everyone is too blotto.  If you've been imbibing whiskey during your celebrations, again, be sure to thank the Scots.

If you're in the mood to do resolutions, knock yourself out.  Here's mine:


I talked to my friend Morag in Edinburgh this morning.  It was wonderful to catch up on all the news from the old neighborhood, though some of it wasn't great, including a fall she had during the ice and snow storms that have now laid her up for the next several weeks.  Still, it was good to chat, though as always, the homesickness sets in almost immediately.  Sigh.

Just as we were hanging up, I glanced out the front window to see several Yellow Finch pecking at the last seeds on the Birch trees.  They are such tiny birds I had to use the macro lens, and even without the image stabilizer I managed to capture a few good shots.  Don't they look like little yellow canaries..??

 
 

It seems like I take an inordinate amount of bird photos, but honestly, you have to admit they really are beautiful wee creatures.

I was looking at the Best of the Year stuff this morning, and couldn't resist this picture of Riley, celebrating his first birthday.  He won the internet Animal of the Year award as the most popular photo.  This photo has been circulating for months now, so you might have already seen it.  I had to post it, not only because of the win, but because tomorrow morning, this could be you, if you had too much fun on New Year's Eve...!!


Some links I found more cool than others.  I mean, really.  Who cares about best movie, or best place to live, or whatever. .??  Give me the intriguing, or the funny or the weird any day.  So, here you go:

Riley shows up at another website: 30 Most Important Dogs of 2010.  There are some great videos, and photos.  Only one was sad...sort of a Grey Friars Bobby story.

National Geo has posted the Best Underwater Photos of 2010, and though there aren't many of them, wow, are they interesting and beautiful.

Here's the most viewed YouTube video, in a category not related to misadventure, stupidity or animals.  I love this Old Spice guy...


In case you're wondering, here is a link to the 2010 Weather Events of the year.  It's kind of creepy when you read, month by month, how volatile the planet is...or is becoming.

And, to finish up, read the 2010 Darwin Award nominee stories, and cast your vote.  It never ceases to amaze me what folks can get up to.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas, nor do we share other holidays, but no matter who you are, there is acknowledgement of the New Year.  So, thanks for reading my blog, and hopefully I can bore entertain you for another year, another decade.  Here's wishing you all:

No comments: