Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Mish Mash

Woke up this morning to a mini-blizzard.  It was really coming down, in giant flakes of snow and very pretty, though freezing cold.  I grabbed the camera and tried for a short video. As usual, I'm sniffing...honestly, what is it with my nose..??  It was really windy and in short order the snow dotted the camera lens, to say nothing of at the end all you can hear is the wind, not my words.  Maybe that's a blessing...


Now, an hour later, everything is covered in snow, but we are also enveloped in a thick, icy mist.  If I were in Scotland right now, we would be calling this haar.  I experienced this weird weather phenomena several times throughout the years in Edinburgh, though didn't expect to ever see it here, in southern Oregon.  The haar is a frigid sea mist, so go figure how it's settled around our mountain when we're at least an hour from the coast and sheltered by the Coast Range.

I got all the grocery shopping done yesterday, so if we're somehow stuck up the mountain for a time, it won't matter.  Taking Ozzy for his walk later in the afternoon was an ordeal however.  The rain had poured down for nearly two days straight, so the park was beyond soaked.  I decided the new term for this kind of adventure is Swamp Walking.  Seriously, even the paved paths were flooded.  Poor wee Ozzy was up to his knees a few times, and the grass was just a boggy morass of mud and water.  We would have been drenched even if it hadn't been raining buckets.  In a way, I prefer the snow...in a way.



 

I found some interesting things this morning to post...better than the nothingness from yesterday.  So take a break from whatever and have a nice, warm cup of something.  If you're at work, keep pretending you're actually working; if you're home, nobody is watching, so settle in for some miscellaneous stuff snatched from the internet today.  As always, what is interesting to me, may not be to you.  You have been forewarned...


This link is very funny:  15 Redneck Inventions.  I can't decide which one is my favorite, though the hot tub is a good one, but so are the flat screen TV and the birthday cake "inventions".

Loved this video.  The poor wee calf had gotten stranded on the surface of an icy pond and couldn't stand or walk to get herself off.  The rescue helicopter literally blows her to safety.

Courtesy of Arbroath

Something you don't see every day.  I have no idea where this photo was taken, or who took it.  It's just a great picture I found on one of my morning blog reads.  This would be one of those shots where it would be fun to come up with a caption...

"But why do I always have to be the hat..??"


An interesting link if you want to organize yourself in the new year.  It's a calendar and reminder program you can download for free.  Basic, simple and easy to keep yourself on top of schedules, birthdays, projects, etc.  Chaos Manager.

I guess that about wraps it up for the coffee break this morning.  The mist is dissipating and the rain is back, though mixed now with snow and hail.  Guess we might be able to get off the mountain after all later today for more Swamp Walking.  Buggers.

No comments: