Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Max

Two days ago, we went to this place called Saving Grace, the local animal shelter.  I had noticed a few smaller dogs on their website, so we decided to just go look.  Famous last words.

The sad part of an animal shelter is, of course, the dogs who so desperately want a home.  It's a heartbreaking place--not just this shelter, but all of them.  So, we see several little dogs, all pathetically looking at you with hope in their eyes, and I tell Alan we have to take at least five of them home.  I was kidding...sort of.  It was almost more than I was worth to stay in the kennel area without sobbing for these lost souls.

Eventually, we see this lovely little happy-go-lucky creature who, despite his circumstances, has a smile and a fiercely wagging tail.  We make arrangements to go outside to our car so this wee dog and Ozzy can have a look at each other.  That went better than I expected, considering Ozzy has been an only child all his life.

Alan and I have The Big Talk, then we fill out all the papers for adoption.  As I wanted Ozzy's great vet, Dr Barry to check this little dog over, and we needed to get leash, bed, etc., we leave him in prison for one more day so I can make the vet appointment and we can get prepared to welcome Ozzy's new sidekick into the family the next day.

We have named him Max.  He was found by a policeman, wandering in the cold and snow about ten days ago.  The policeman took him to Saving Grace.  He's approximately 4 years old, and according to Dr Barry yesterday, is in great shape.  He weighs 13 lbs, and is black with odd little white streaks here and there, particularly around his eyes and muzzle, which make him look older.  He is a Schipperke crossed with Chihuahua, though he looks very much like a Schipperke only with a short, rough coat rather than the black bear fur of a purebred Schipperke.  And he is the sweetest little dog I think I have ever met.

For some unknown reason, he is afraid of the camera.  I tried several times last night to get a good photo of him, but the minute I raised the camera, his wagging tail dropped and he ran out of the room.  I can't imagine what that means.  What circumstances would make a dog fearful of a camera..??  I managed this one shot:


You can tell he's about the same size as Oz, though is 5 pounds heavier.  He's solid and sturdy, though would rather lay next to you on the couch, all cuddled in, than fight or scrabble.  Sadly, we bought him some toys along with his new food dishes and bedding, but he doesn't seem to know what they are, or what to do with them.

I had both dogs sleeping with me last night, one on each side.  I really didn't mind, until I wanted to move and knew I was pinned in place for the duration.   A funny thing this morning:  When I woke up, both dogs were on the same side, semi-snuggled into each other.  Ozzy woke up, realized he was nose to nose with Max, got this outraged look on his face, snarled and leaped off the bed like he'd been caught doing something illegal.  It was truly funny.  The two dogs are getting along far better than I'd hoped, though Ozzy is being very aloof at the moment.  I'm really hoping they end up great pals, since that was the point of getting another dog in the first place.

Later this afternoon, when we all go to the park for the first time, I will try to get more photos when Max isn't looking.  We'll see how that goes since he never seems to take his eyes off me, poor wee soul.  I think, after his experience (lost, found, put in jail), he doesn't quite believe his luck has changed.  But, guess what Max:  Welcome Home...!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Far out!! You two are far braver than I am. I can't even think about shelters. It breaks my heart. Good for you and congratulations on your new kid!

terlee said...

Thanks for the congrats. I think we really lucked out finding such a sweet little dog. Now, I just have to convince Ozzy...