Daisies, River Forks Park, Roseburg, Oregon 2011

Friday, January 21, 2011

Random Things...

I don't have any videos today, so no Flix on Friday post.  That's okay, really.  I don't want to post any ol' video just because it's Friday.  So, instead I have a few photos.

Yesterday afternoon I was standing out on the front deck, whilst talking to my mother on the telephone, when this very large bird landed in an oak tree across the road.  I wasn't sure what it was...eagle, mutant hawk, pterodactyl...??  I grabbed my camera, and with one hand holding the phone and the other trying to macro the lens and take a steady shot, I managed to get these two pictures before the bird flew off.



If you click on the photos to make them larger, you can see the hooked beak, and in the bottom picture you can see that reddish eye.  Turns out, on closer inspection, this is a Red Tailed Hawk, though I have to say, this was one big bird.  It could easily carry Ozzy off for a nice snack if it were so inclined.  Now that Spring is coming, and the raptors are breeding, we will have to keep a close eye on the skies.  When they need to feed their young, they have been known to snatch cats, and Ozzy (now hairless and tiny) is way smaller than a cat.  Ah yes...the joys of living in the wilderness.  Still.  It's a beautiful bird, isn't it..??

Later in the evening, we had a most spectacular sunset.  By the time I got outside with the camera the full glory of it had faded, but I managed a fairly good last photo.  The whole sky was red, for as far as you could see, though I just took this one small section because I liked the contrast with the mountain ridges and trees against the red clouds.


Somehow the morning has flown by, and now it's time for dog walkies.  I'll finish off with these two funny bumper stickers.  If you're interested in seeing more...here's the link, though these were my favorites.  Happy Friday, folks...!!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those photos are why we are pursuing this lot thing with all due haste. Sheesh, you've had turkeys, deer, hawks, eagles, vultures. Anything else? All plus a view to die for!!

terlee said...

well, let's not forget the cougars, though they have only been spotted on the other side of town this winter...and I can only hope they stay there..!!

Oh, and the quail and the owls.

Hey, what can I say..?? It's the freaking wilderness..!!